Job Title: Legal Secretary
Position: Full Time (37.5 hours)
Hours of work: 9.00 am – 5.30 pm
The Legal Secretary will be responsible for supporting solicitors by performing a variety of administrative duties, including drafting legal correspondence, answering phones and greeting visitors, and communicating with solicitors, clients and court personnel.
- Transcribe and proofread legal documents
- Type legal documents
- Prepare court forms
- File, organise, scan, copy and fax legal documents
- Keep records up to date
- Schedule court depositions, hearings and other meetings
- Make travel arrangements for solicitors
- Process third-party and vendor invoices
- File documents with the court ahead of deadlines
- Answer phone
- Assisting in drafting and preparing legal documents, forms, and bundles
Qualifications & Training
- OCR Higher Diploma in Administrative and Secretarial Procedures
- Legal Secretaries Diploma run by the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs (ILSPA)
- City & Guilds/Cilex Level 3 Certificate for Legal Secretaries
- Working in a fast-paced office environment
Skills, Qualities & Attitude
- Communication skills: You will be working with a wide range of people, from barristers and solicitors to their clients, so the ability to communicate well and in a professional manner is essential
- Written communication skills: excellent spelling and grammar. A high level of written English
- Attention to detail: high level of accuracy when preparing legal documents or filling out forms and statements
- Organisational skills: These are important for managing lawyers’ diaries and own work schedule
- IT skills: Most work is be carried out electronically
- Teamwork: able to work with clients, lawyers, and other legal secretaries
- Strong sense of discretion
- Courteous and professional demeanour
- Legal terminology, regulations and court system
- MS Office and ability to work with legal technology (court-filing computer systems, transcription software, Dictaphone etc)
What We Offer You
- Competitive salary DOE
- Support in continuing professional development and pursuing your long-term career goals
- A dynamic, client-driven work environment to apply your skills where they’ll make the most difference
- A purpose-built staff room and one-hour lunch breaks
- Free on-site parking
- Generous leave allowance
- Access to the firm’s private gym with showers and sauna
Outside of the office, you might find us out bowling, sailing, mountain biking, hosting seminars, or anything in between. Anything goes. Even piloting helicopters.
Why Work for Kidwells
Kidwells Solicitors works to empower our clients, whether business or individuals. And that starts with empowering our staff, too. Our firm of lawyers and support staff enjoy a high quality of work, in an energetic and friendly environment where they can learn, evolve, and make a real difference in the lives of our clients.
Established in 2008, Kidwells Solicitors is a Law Society Lexcel accredited, dynamic group. Our clients value us for our efficient, honest, and proactive approach. We take the time to truly understand our clients and their needs. Our diversity, breadth of experience, and unique level of hands-on expertise are our greatest strengths, enabling us to provide a one-stop service for our clients.
Ultimately, you’ll be part of a team that works with clients to build a better future, for themselves, their community, their family, or their business.
You will be experienced in running your own caseload, dealing with clients and be able to take the initiative in all tasks, applying a forensic approach to your work. Strong communication skills both verbal and written and the ability to manage own time and maintain excellent organisational skills are required.
The successful applicant must:
- be able to work effectively within a team, as well as efficiently running an individual caseload.
- be professional, organised, competent, enthusiastic and ambitious.
- be able to work with other fee earners and seek advice and assistance whenever needed to develop knowledge and skills
Employees are encouraged to take regular time off with holiday entitlement mirroring the public sector, to relax in the purpose-built staff room, to make the most of the top of the range gym, and encouraged to work with the Board of Directors to constantly improve the working environment, to continue their professional development, to learn and evolve as individuals as the Company continues to evolve as market leaders.